Thyroid - management of infants born to mothers with thyroid disorders
This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
For infants of mothers with Graves disease
- Request T4 on baby on day 3 and day 7.
- If T4 is abnormal, obtain a venous sample for T4, TSH, and if sufficient serum also include T3.
- If there is any doubt on interpreting the results consult the Paediatric endocrine service.
For all other infants of mothers with thyroid disorders
Unless previously specified by the paediatric endocrinologist, request a Guthrie test, and write on card to please send report to the requesting doctor. This will ensure that a report is sent back within 2 days.
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 01 October 2002
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: Neonatology
- Author(s): Newborn Services Clinical Practice Committee
- Editor: Sarah Bellhouse
- Review frequency: 2 years
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines