Cardiac - pre-operative cardiac care in NICU
This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
Cardiac Surgery-Pre-Operative Skin preparation
- All children undergoing cardiac surgery will have a total body wipe with chlorhexidine 2% wash cloths the night before and morning of surgery.
- Mupirocin 2% nasal (topical preparation not approved for neonatal use) ointment to be applied to both nostrils the night before and on the morning of surgery.
- The ointment is to be charted BD for 5 days and the tube should go into a plastic bag attached to the baby's notes so that it can be continued in PICU.
- Nasal swabs to be done on admission to NICU and if results available and negative for Staphylococcus, the mupirocin steps can be omitted.
- Place pre-operative checklist sticker into patient notes.
Investigations Required Prior to Cardiac Catheter
- Group and Cross match
- Urea and Creatinine
- Gas and lactate if intubated or unwell
Investigations Required Prior to Surgery
|Group and Cross Match||
|Newborn Metabolic Screening||
|Fish for 22q11 deletion||
|T Cell (count and function)||
|CXR||Within 1 month of surgery or if respiratory status has changed since last one.|
|ECG||Within 2 weeks of surgery. Pager for ECG tech 93 5367|
|Ultrasound||Renal and Head ultrasounds required on any infant undergoing aortic arch surgery e.g. Norwood or Coarctation of the Aorta.|
- Surgical consent is obtained by the surgeon.
- Anaesthetic consent is obtained by the anaesthetist or anaesthetic registrar.
- Consent for Blood Transfusion must be obtained prior to surgery - infants with known or possible immune deficiency (22q11 possible DiGeorge) should receive irradiated blood.
Ongoing care in NICU
Questions about the care of babies in NICU should be directed to the consult cell phone (0211808238) Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm or the Cardiologist on call.
To refer new patients to the Cardiology Service the Neonatologist should call the Cardiologist on Call.
Questions about the scheduling of surgery can be answered by booking clerk at ext 23619
If the parents of cardiac surgical patients have questions about the process around surgery or what will happen post-op, please call the Nurse Practitioners, Ana Kennedy on 021332861 or Marion Hamer on 021 983986 who will be happy to come up and speak to the parents.
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 02 April 2018
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: Neonatology
- Owner: Newborn Services Clinical Practice Committee
- Editor: Sarah Bellhouse
- Review frequency: 2 years
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines