Infection Control practices for healthcare personnel
This site does not accept referrals or provide clinical advice in response to questions. If you are a New Zealand health professional seeking clinical advice, please use your local clinical pathway. If you are a New Zealand child patient, parent or caregiver seeking clinical advice, please contact your usual doctor. You can read the full site disclaimer here.
Generic infection control practices for healthcare personnel
All healthcare personnel facilities caring for people with CF have readily available alcohol-based hand rub or antimicrobial soap and water in all patient rooms, lung function rooms, and waiting areas.
All healthcare personnel should perform hand hygiene (either using alcohol-based hand rub or washing hands with antimicrobial soap and water), as per the 5 moments for hand hygiene and/or local hospital policy.
- Before direct contact with any patient
- Before a procedure
- After a procedure or contact with patient's skin, mucous membranes, respiratory secretions, or other body fluids
- After direct contact with any patient
- After contact with patient surroundings and inanimate objects (including medical equipment) in the vicinity of the patient that may be potentially contaminated with respiratory secretions.
Healthcare personnel should not wear artificial fingernails or nail extenders when having direct contact with people with CF.
Healthcare personnel should disinfect their stethoscopes before and after use on each patient, with alcohol-based wipes.
- Cystic Fibrosis, Australia (2012). Infection Control Guidelines for Cystic Fibrosis Patients and Carers. Available from: http://www.cysticfibrosis.org.au/media/wysiwyg/CFAustralia/PDF_files/02_CFA_InfectionControlGuidelines_LowRez.pdf
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Guideline (2014). Infection Prevention and Control Guideline for Cystic Fibrosis: 2013 Update. Available from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/676882?origin=JSTOR-pdf
- Royal Brompton & Harefield, NHS Foundation Trust (2014). Clinical Guidelines: Care of Children with Cystic Fibrosis. Available from: www.rbht.nhs.uk/childrencf
Information last reviewed: October 2016
More From Starship
Information about the Paediatric Society of New Zealand