Infection Control - healthcare education
This site does not accept referrals or provide clinical advice in response to questions. If you are a New Zealand health professional seeking clinical advice, please use your local clinical pathway. If you are a New Zealand child patient, parent or caregiver seeking clinical advice, please contact your usual doctor. You can read the full site disclaimer here.
Infection Control education
Healthcare personnel should assume that ALL people with CF could have pathogens in respiratory tract secretions that are transmissible to other people with CF.
All healthcare personnel caring for children and young people with CF (e.g. the CF care team, inpatient and outpatient staff, and staff in diagnostic and therapeutic areas, including Respiratory Physiology laboratories, radiology, phlebotomy and hospital based school, activity or playrooms) should receive education regarding Infection Control practices for CF. Education should be repeated at intervals as each CF Team deems appropriate.
All children and young people with CF and their families should receive age-appropriate education regarding the Infection Control Practices in CF.
CF teams should collaborate with their hospitals Infection Prevention and Control (IP&C) teams to develop protocols, checklists and audits to standardise implementation of practices for the following:
- Single-patient-use, disposable items
- Cleaning and disinfection multiuse items (e.g. patient care equipment, oximeters, stethoscopes)
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces in the healthcare environment (e.g. Clinic rooms, Lung Function Rooms, hospital rooms and sinks and showers).
- Cystic Fibrosis, Australia (2012). Infection Control Guidelines for Cystic Fibrosis Patients and Carers. Available from: http://www.cysticfibrosis.org.au/media/wysiwyg/CFAustralia/PDF_files/02_CFA_InfectionControlGuidelines_LowRez.pdf
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Guideline (2014). Infection Prevention and Control Guideline for Cystic Fibrosis: 2013 Update. Available from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/676882?origin=JSTOR-pdf
- Royal Brompton & Harefield, NHS Foundation Trust (2014). Clinical Guidelines: Care of Children with Cystic Fibrosis. Available from: www.rbht.nhs.uk/childrencf
Information last reviewed: October 2016
More From Starship
Information about the Paediatric Society of New Zealand