Molecular Haematology Specimens and Tests
This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
Please contact Molecular Haematology/Oncology (03) 364 0300 ext 89785 for any queries regarding molecular testing and sample requirements.
- RPMI Bone marrow Transport Media: Please contact Cytogenetics (03) 364 0300 ext 80881 for a supply of 10 ml Centrifuge tubes containing approximately 5 ml RPMI bone marrow transport media (contains heparin anticoagulant).
- RPMI Tissue Transport Media: Please contact Cytogenetics (03) 364 0300 ext 80881 for a supply of 20 ml Universal collection vessels containing approximately 5 ml RPMI tissue transport media.
- All PCR and RT-PCR reactions are carried out using duplicate patient samples and both positive and negative control samples.
- Southern blot analysis requires 2-3 weeks, PCR analysis requires 1 week.
- Samples for RNA extraction must be received within 24 hours to prevent degradation or can be frozen and sent on dry ice. Samples for DNA extraction may be sent at room temperature overnight. Please phone the lab regarding tissue biopsy samples for DNA extraction.
- Please contact the lab, (03) 364 0300 ext 89785, for any queries regarding testing and sample requirements.
The list below states which tests are DNA or RNA as the sample requirements are different. Not all tests will be required.
For complete sample information contact:
|Christchurch Hospital - Please contact Molecular Haematology/Oncology (03) 364 0300 ext 89785 for any queries regarding molecular testing and sample requirements.|
|Starship Hospital specimens, please discuss with Dr Neil Van De Water on x 22006.|
DNA-based PCR Tests
5-10 mL peripheral blood in EDTA (purple top), or at least 1 mL
bone marrow aspirate (BMA) in RPMI1 medium or EDTA, or alternative
samples as indicated. Samples for DNA tests may be sent at room
- Jak-2 PCR: 1 ml of BM in EDTA (preferred). Otherwise 20 ml EDTA PB.
- TCR gamma rearrangements; IgH PCR, BCL-2 PCR: Paraffin embedded tissue: (10-20 10 micron slices depending on size of tissue). Fresh tissue in saline or RPMI medium 2. Frozen tissue at -20°C or -80°C. Cell lysates.
- Microsatellite chimerism
RNA-based RT-PCR or RQ-PCR (real-time quantitative) Tests
5-10 mL peripheral blood (PB) in EDTA (purple top), or at least
1 mL bone marrow aspirate (BMA) in RPMI medium 1 (containing
heparin), or alternative samples as indicated. Samples should be
sent at room temperature and received within 24 hours. Tissues
should be snap frozen in liquid nitrogen then stored at -800C and
transported on dry ice.
- BCR/ABL for CML 10 ml PB in EDTA at room temperature
- Acute leukaemia PCR panel
- t (15;17) nested PCR
- t (18;21) nested PCR
- inv (16) nested PCR
- t (12;21) nested PCR
- t (4;11) nested PCR
Molecular tests for solid tumours
See information under new diagnosis - solid tumours
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 02 August 2010
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: National Child Cancer Network
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines