Starship supports breastfeeding mothers. If you need help with breastfeeding or expressing while you are in hospital, please talk to the nurse caring for your child. A lactation consultant is available and your nurse can contact her if you are experiencing difficulties.
There are breast pumps available for you to use if you are expressing.
Meals are provided by the ward for mothers breastfeeding their baby (patient) under six months of age.
Breastfeeding/expressing rooms are located in:
- Children's Emergency Department, Level Two
- Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Level Two
- Outpatient Clinic, Level Three
- Ward 24B, Level Four. Mothers from all of Starship are welcome to come and use this room. You do need to check availability of the room through the nurse or ward clerk prior to going to Ward 24B.
- Newborn Intensive Care Unit, Level Nine Auckland City Hospital
More From Starship
Information, videos and factsheets on managing diabetes from the Starship Diabetes Team
The best care for you and your baby begins long before birth