Rheumatic Fever - children and adults
This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
Links to aid diagnosis of suspected / probable Acute Rheumatic Fever
- National Heart Foundation Guidelines
- National Heart Foundation Guidelines for Echocardiography for patients with Acute Rheumatic Fever (and when to do a repeat echo in 2-4 weeks)
- National Heart Foundation Guide to the duration of secondary prophylaxis
- Consult Infectious Diseases Team: On call ID
SSH: 021 422 451
- NOTE: Do not give patients with suspected Rheumatic Fever NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin or naproxen) until their diagnosis is clarified (usually after consultant review).
Actions prior to discharge
Notification to ARPHS: must be done on suspicion and within 7 days of admission
Case review (internal ADHB link): complete at time of diagnosis (leave in notes)
Referral to Auckland Regional Rheumatic Fever Register
Administer first dose of secondary prophylaxis (IM BPenG) - please chart 0.25mls of lignocaine 2% to be given with benzathine penicillin injections.
Refer to Community nursing team (internal ADHB link) for ongoing prophylaxis
Assess eligibility for Healthy Housing (internal ADHB link)
Refer for follow-up: ID +/- cardiology clinic
Refer Dental Service
Education: What is Rheumatic fever? (also in Tongan and Samoan)
Reinforce sore throat management in patient and family/household members
Reinforce need for prophylaxis
Other resources: Rheumatic Fever on the kidshealth website
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 04 September 2018
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: Paediatric Infectious Diseases, Paediatric Cardiology
- Author(s): Elizabeth Wilson, Alison Leversha
- Editor: Greg Williams
- Review frequency: 2 years
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines
More From Starship
CareConnect TestSafe is a way for clinicians to get remote access to Starship clinical documents. Find out more...
Read about the governance process around the Starship Clinical Guidelines and how to format guidelines in development.