This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
Algorithm for suspected appendicitis
* Monitor as per Starship Clinical Guideline on
Aminoglycosides, including measurement of renal function with serum
**Peritoneal fluid culture results: antibiotics do not need to be changed on the basis of culture results if improving13
Prophylactic antibiotics should be administered before appendicectomy [Andersen et al 2004], in a single dose (secondary doses are only required to maintain tissue levels in long procedures, thus not needed in appendicectomy). For post-operative treatment of complicated appendicitis, an abbreviated regime is as effective as traditional fixed-term regimes [Fraser et al 2010, Yu et al 2013].
Most papers advocate conservative management with broad spectrum antibiotics and interval appendicectomy [Gillick, Velayudham, Puri 2001]. Incidence of ~16-40% will fail conservative management and require drainage or operation earlier than the booked interval appendicectomy.
Studies show no significant morbidity or complications from waiting overnight for appendicectomy [Rajendra, Quinn, Puri 1993].
- Andersen BR, Kallehave FL, Andersen HK. Antibiotics versus placebo for prevention of postoperative infection after appendicectomy.. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD001439. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001439.pub2.
- Fraser J, Aguayo P, Leys C. M, Keckler S. J, St. Peter S. D, et al: A complete course of intravenous antibiotics vs. a combination of intravenous and oral antibiotics for perforated appendicitis in children: a prospective, randomized trial. J Pediatr Surg. 2010, 45: 1198-1202
- Gillick J, Velayudham M, Puri P. Conservative management of appendix mass in children. BJS 2001;88(11):1539-42.
- Rajendra S, Quinn F, Puri P. Is it necessary to perform appendicectomy in the middle of the night in children? BMJ 1993;306(6886):1168-1169.
- Sauerland S, Jaschinski T, Neugebauer EAM. Laparoscopic versus open surgery for suspected appendicitis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD001546. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001546.pub3.
- Yu T, Hamill J, Evans S, Hill A, et al: Duration of Postoperative Intravenous Antibiotics in Childhood Complicated Appendicitis: A Propensity Score-Matched Comparison Study. European Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2013 June, 24(4)
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 19 September 2016
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: Paediatric Surgery
- Author(s): James Hamill, Annabel Dekker
- Owner: James Hamill
- Editor: Greg Williams
- Review frequency: 2 years
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines
More From Starship
We welcome your involvement. Find out what guidelines are currently in development or under review. Find out more...
Read about the governance process around the Starship Clinical Guidelines and how to format guidelines in development.