This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
Dose and administration
40% (40g/100ml) Dextrose Gel
- Blood glucose concentration <2.6 mmol/L, but ≥ 1.2 mmol/L on first administration and ≥ 2.0 mmol/L on subsequent doses AND
- ≥ 35 weeks' gestational age AND
- < 48 hours after birth
- 200 mg/kg (0.5 ml/kg)
- Treat one episode of hypoglycaemia with a maximum of 3 doses of dextrose gel
- Maximum of 6 doses of dextrose gel per baby in 48 hours
- Dry inside of buccal mucosa with gauze
- Apply dextrose to a gloved finger, and then massage into buccal mucosa
- Offer baby a breast feed
- Harris DL, Weston PJ, Signal M, Chase JG, Harding JE. Dextrose gel for neonatal hypoglycaemia (the Sugar Babies Study): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2013;382:2077-83.
- Weston PJ, Harris D, Battin M, Brown J, Hegarty J, Harding JE. Oral dextrose gel for the treatment of hypoglycaemia in newborn infants (Protocol). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; Issue
- Art. No.: CD011027. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011027.
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 31 December 2014
- Document type: Drug Dosage Guideline
- Services responsible: Neonatology
- Editor: Sarah Bellhouse
- Review frequency: 2 years