Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
In paediatric oncology, this is most often seen with:
gram negative sepsis
AML at diagnosis particularly M3 and M4/5
advanced neuroblastoma (particularly stage 4S)
ALL with hyperleucocytosis
Diagnosis is confirmed by prolonged PT, APTT, low platelets, low fibrinogen and high fibrin degradation products (latter measured as D-dimer concentration).
Treatment of DIC
- treat underlying cause
- keep platelets > 50 x 109/l
- FFP 10 - 15 mls/kg over 1 -2 hours repeated 8 -12 hourly if necessary
- cryoprecipitate 5 - 10 mls/kg over 1 hour given 8 - 12 hourly as necessary.
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 02 August 2010
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: National Child Cancer Network
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines