Blood Products - Viruses
This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
As a result of universal leucodepletion, there is no need to use high-efficiency filters at the bedside or to request CMV negative products for oncology patients.
Risk of viral transmission
Parents often worry about the safety of blood products. The following table provides an estimate of risk:
|Infection1||Window period (days)||Residual risk (/106 donations)|
|vCJD||-||Possible, but not yet reported in NZ|
- NZBS Transfusion medicine handbook 2008.
Did you find this information helpful?
- Date last published: 20 April 2016
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: National Child Cancer Network
- Owner: Siobhan Cross
- Review frequency: 2 years
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines