What we do
We provide elective and acute anaesthetic services for most major surgical specialties including:
- Neurosurgery/craniofacial surgery
- Cardiac surgery
The main exception is burns which are managed at the National Burns Centre at Middlemore Hospital. In addition to providing anaesthesia for surgery, we also facilitate medical procedures such as
- Endoscopy by gastroenterology
- Flexible bronchoscopy by respiratory
- Intrathecal chemotherapy by oncology
- Medical imaging and interventions by radiology
- Cardiac catheterisations by cardiology
Our department provides a strong educational programme. We are an approved training site as part of the Northern Rotation for ANZCA trainees. Our registrars easily complete the requirements for the paediatric module during their time with us.
We also have a fellowship programme in conjunction with the paediatric intensive care unit for those who wish to further advance their skills in anaesthetising children.