Menu Search Donate

Starship Paediatric Child & Family Unit

Contact Details

Starship Child Health, Central Auckland

Phone (09) 307 4901 (DDI) for general enquiries/reception
Fax (09) 307 8944

2 Park Road Grafton Auckland 1023
Starship Child Health Private Bag 92 024 Auckland Mail Centre Auckland 1142 New Zealand
(09) 307 4901 (DDI) for general enquiries/reception
(09) 307 8944

The Child and Family Unit (CFU) is a supra-regional acute psychiatric child and adolescent mental health inpatient unit hosted by Auckland District Health Board. It is located on level one of Starship Children's Hospital.

CFU admits young people aged from 13 - 18 with significant mental health concerns or suspected mental illness from the upper region of the North Island (north of and including Taranaki through to Cape Reinga). It is also the inpatient facility for children under 13 years for the North Island.

Within the same facility the Child and Family Unit also houses a specialist three-bedded Mother and Baby Unit which provides inpatient care to people living in Waitemata, Auckland, Counties Manukau and Northland.

Acute inpatient unit for young people:

The Child and Family Unit operates utilising a bio-psycho-social model and a strengths approach to support young people and their whanau during an acute period of illness.

CFU has a multidisciplinary team approach with nurses, psychologists, support workers, cultural advisors, social workers, occupational therapists, specialist child and adolescent psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatry registrars and medical staff. Northern Health Schools also provide a school within the service and teachers are available Monday to Friday to support young people to remain engaged in education. 

The unit provides assessment, treatment, individualised therapies, talking therapies, group based activities, family/whanau support, planning for discharge, liaison between relevant agencies and recreation tailored to each young person.

Referral Expectations

All referrals to the Child and Family Unit must be made by a specialised child and adolescent mental health service.

This information has been provided by, helping people better understand and use New Zealand health services.