Drug incompatibility for IV Y-site Administration in Neonates
This document is only valid for the day on which it is accessed. Please read our disclaimer.
Drug compatibility chart
The compatibility data in this chart apply to drug concentrations as used in Newborn Services. Where greater concentrations are used, contact the Pharmacy for compatibility advice. Click on the image below to view a larger version
IVN = Intravenous Nutrition
+ = these drugs have a negligible effect on alprostadil (PGE 1), but the reverse not studied.
++ = in sodium chloride 0.9%
+++ = in glucose 5%
* = morphine ≤5mg/ml
** No conclusive data
*** conflicting results in studies (16, 19)
# destabilisation of fat emulsion has been noted at heparin 5 iU/ml (14) & 0.5 iU./ml (17) when co-infused with TPN containing Ca++
- Trissel LA, (ed). Handbook on Injectable Drugs (7th ed.). Bethesda: American Society of Hospital Pharmacists,1992.
- Indocid P.D.A. Data Sheet. Auckland: Merck Sharp & Dohme (NZ) Ltd., 1997.
- Dopamine data sheet. Victoria: F.H.Faulding & Co.Ltd,1992.
- Roiall V. (Personal Correspondence). McGaw Biomed, August 1997.
- Hasegawa G, Eder J. Visual compatibility of dobutamine HCl with other injectable drugs. Am J Hosp Pharm 1984;41: 949-51.
- Baker DE,Yost GS et al. Compatibility of heparin sodium & morphine sulphate. Am J Hosp Pharm 1985;42:1352-5.
- Little H. (Personal correspondence). Baxter Healthcare Ltd. 17 July 1996.
- Indomethacin data sheet. West Point: Merck&Co.Inc,1994.
- Reynolds JF, (ed). Martindale - The Extra Pharmacopoeia(30th ed). London: The Pharmaceutical Press,1993 .
- Saunders J. (Personal correspondence) .Pharmacia & Upjohn.Aug.1996
- Ishisaka D, Van Vleet J, et al. Visual compatibility of indomethacin sodium trihydrate with drugs given to neonates by continuous infusion. Am J Hosp Pharm 1991; 48: 2442-3
- Dasta JF, Hale KN et al. Comparison of visual and turbidimetric methods for determining short-term compatibility of intravenous critical -care drugs. Am J Hosp Pharm.1988; 45:2361-6.
- Gillies IR. Physical stability of Intralipid following drug addition. Aust J Hosp Pharm 1980; 10(3):118-120.
- Johnson O, Washington C, et al. The destabilization of parenteral feeding emulsions by heparin. Int. J of Pharmaceutics. 1989;53: 237-240.
- Little H. (Personal correspondence). Baxter Healthcare Ltd. June 1996.
- Schilling CG. (Correspondence). Compatibility of drugs with a heparin-containing neonatal total parenteral nutrient solution. Am J Hosp Pharm 1988; 45:313-4
- Raup P, Von Kries R. et al. Incompatibility between fat emulsion and calcium plus heparin in parenteral nutrition of premature babies. Lancet 1988; 1:700.
- Zenk KE. Y-Site compatibility of drugs commonly used in the NICU. Neonatal Pharmacology Quarterly 1992; 1(2): 13-22.
- Hasegawa GR, Eder JF. Dobutamine-heparin mixture inadvisable. Am J Hosp Pharm 1984; 41:2590-1.
- Veltri M, Lee C. Compatibility of neonatal parenteral nutrient solutions with selected intravenous drugs. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 1996; 53:2611-3.
Did you find this information helpful?
- Document type: Clinical Guideline
- Services responsible: Neonatology
- Owner: Newborn Services Clinical Practice Committee
- Editor: Sarah Bellhouse
- Review frequency: 2 years
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE GUIDELINE UPDATES
Subscribe below if you want us to let you know about new or updated guidelines