Button batteries: Birth to 11 months
How big a problem is it?
Button batteries are a real danger to children, so it's important that you keep all devices that contain them out of reach. As well as being a choking hazard they can get stuck in your child’s throat and burn a hole in as little as two hours causing serious illness or death. You may not realise anything is wrong at first. They’ll continue to breathe and act normally and if there is any indication, you may just think they have a cold or the flu.
Who does it affect?
Children under six years and babies are most at risk, because they are inquisitive and love to take things apart and put things in their mouths. Here is a summary of some of the ways you can reduce the risk of a button battery injury.
If you think your child has ingested a battery, go to the nearest hospital emergency room and get medical treatment straight away.
Honey can significantly reduce burn injuries from swallowing button batteries. If you have some available, give your child 2 teaspoons before heading to the ER, as long as they are at least a year old and there is no obvious chest pain or fever.
Two teaspoons can be given every 10 minutes up to 6 doses.
Time is critical, so children suspected of swallowing a battery must get to an emergency department immediately.
It’s best not to induce vomiting or have your child eat or drink anything other than honey as mentioned above, until a doctor has seen them.
If you have the identification number of the battery (found on the battery’s pack), take it with you to hospital. This could be really helpful to the medical team.
Call Healthline on 0800 611 116 if you are unsure what to do.
Button batteries are becoming more and more present in our lives. Safekids Aotearoa has worked with industry representatives and clinicians from Starship Child Health to build a special-focus website to help parents understand how this little known risk can be addressed. Find it here: The Battery Controlled